birding-aus

Fwd: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:36:49 +1100
From: "<>"
<<>>
Date: 13 January 2014 4:02:08 am AEDT
To: "<>"
<<>>
Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Jan 2014.

Thu 9 Jan       Pectoral Sandpiper Whicker Road Wetlands, Whicker Road - Gilman
One adult in non br plumage and in the company of a Ruff. Very approachable and
confiding. Mostly on exposed mud and grassy areas.
Edd Smith, Peter Strauss.

        Ruff Whicker Road Wetlands, Gilman
09:30 One Ruff in the company of a Pectoral Sandpiper. It was very skittish and
would fly at the least disturbance and resettle out of sight.
Peter Strauss, Edd Smith.

        Australian Bittern Bool Lagoon
Arrived at about 11.15 am this morning and within an hour, I had sighted and
photographed 6 Australian Bitterns mainly around the camping area. Many more
heard. What a stronghold for this species. All photos were taken in flight.
Bernie OKeefe

Wed 8 Jan       Pectoral Sandpiper (1), Ruff (1) Whicker Road Wetland, Gillman
Obliging Pectoral Sandpiper allowing close views. Single Ruff (first reported
by Joseph Dafoe on Birdpedia).
Michael Wood

        Chiming Wedgebill Stuart Hwy 125.3 kms north of Glendambo
After a bird came crashing into my windscreen, I returned to see what it was(a
crested pigeon). As soon as I jumped out of the car, I could hear a beautiful
bird song close by. After finding and photographing a wedgebill, I checked the
sounds of both wedgebills and it was clearly the Chiming as the calls are very
different. What a fluke to stop at one point on the Stuart highway and find
this bird! There were birds everywhere at this point including Black-faced WS
and WB Babblers. The precise location is 125.3 kms north of Glendambo.
Bernie OKeefe

Tue 7 Jan       Java Sparrow Highland Valley, SA
Java Sparrow seen scouting our bird bath at Highland Valley, South Australia at
about midday. Almost certainly an escapee. Under observation for about 15
minutes from a distance of about 10 - 12 metres. Weather fine, mostly cloudy,
22 deg C., wind of about 10 knots from south east.
Adrian Thomas Watkins

Mon 6 Jan       Australasian Bittern Bool Lagoon
An overnight stay in the camp and while out on a night walk up to nine Bitterns
were heard booming at various locations. The following morning produced five
sightings of Bitterns seen in flight over the reed beds along the Gunawar and
Pat Om Trails. One individual made an appearance as it flew over the camp site.
Another Bittern was located and observed along the western boundary of the
reserve and it is strongly suspected that it is attending to a nest.
Edd Smith

Sun 5 Jan       Australasian Bittern Bool Lagoon
Day visit. Wretched conditions with cold, rain and blowing a gale! Despite all
this we completed all of the walks and spent time in both bird hides. Obviously
an exceptional wetlands precinct. Australasian Bittern (6) 5 heard and 1 seen
in flight from the Pat Om walk car park. For those wanting to visit to see
bitterns the place we heard them most is at the car park at the end of the
road. It is also the entrance point for the Gunawar walk. We were surprised by
how loud the 'oom' calls were!
Hedley and Irena Earl

Birdline South Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds<http://www.eremaea.com>.