birding-aus

Frasers Hill vs Cameron Highlands?

To: Bob Ashford <>
Subject: Frasers Hill vs Cameron Highlands?
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 08:49:24 +0930
Hi Bob
I wasn't quite footloose - not with two children, one only five months old!
But I believe having them along made getting along with people much easier.
Everyone made a fuss of baby Rowan, something we were very comfortable with.

While we were eating at the local Indian restaurant (just a corrugated iron
shed) a beautifully dressed (obviously best sari and lots of gold jewellery)
Indian lady who must have been in her late seventies entered, and stood in a
corner wringing her hands, obviously wanting to speak but very nervous.
Finally, at the encouragement of the restaurant owner she spoke.  He
translated:  She wants to take your baby to show him around the village.  We
handed over our fat, very jolly five month old.  He came back at midnight
looking very sleepy and contented. Obviously they'd fed him because his
stomach was like a baseball.  After that we were treated like family.  It
was just a pity none of them knew anything about birds.

 At Lake Chini the tour operator's family offered to look after the kids
while we went off in this tiny boat to cross a raging muddy river.  Amber's
nose had been out of joint because of all the fuss made of Rowan.  But while
we were away the tour operator's brother (and business partner) got down on
one knee and proposed to her, telling her that he wasn't a Muslim, but a
good Christian.  She replied that she didn't believe in God.  He thought she
was absolutely wonderful.

We had a fabulous time, saw lots of great birds, and made many friends.

Denise