birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 25 Nov 2013 03:00:57 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Nov 2013.

Wed 20 Nov Chinstrap Penguin Sandy Bay, Macquarie Island, Tasmania
Single adult bird seen numerous times over the course of the day by those on board the Heritage Expedition "Birding Down Under". Photos and BARC submission to follow.
Joshua Bergmark, Rob Morris, et al

Sat 16 Nov Asian Dowitcher (Subject to submission to NSW ORAC) Comerong Island Nature Reserve, New South Wales
Asian Dowitcher --On Saturday I led the IBOC group on our monthly outing to Comerong Island Nowra amongst the many Godwits and odd one out that looks like maybe an Asian Dowitcher? (as I have not seen one previous) the only record we have of this species is 1977 at the same location. other species Pacific Golden Plover, Red Knots, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Eastern Curlew and Red-capped Plovers. Lots of deceased Shearwaters along the beach itself. [Moderator's note (NH): Sightings of Asian Dowitchers in NSW should be submitted to NSW ORAC]
Charles Dove and members of IBOC

Ruff, Pectoral Sandpiper Pitt Town Lagoon, New South Wales
Despite higher water levels then previous weekend, there was still at least one Ruff, 1 or 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, at least 110 Sharpies, 10 Red-kneed and 3 Black-fronted Dotterels, 3 Hardheads amongst lots of Grey Teal, etc. There was also a Swamp Harrier, Tawny Grassbird and lots of finches. Along nearby Pitt Town Bottoms Rd there were still a number of birds attracted to flowering mistletoe - Scarlet and White-cheeked Honeyeaters, Mistletoebirds and Spinebills. A Rainbow Bee-eater was seen and a Brush Cuckoo was heard here.
Edwin Vella

Sun 10 Nov Ruff Greenfields Wetlands, Dry Creek, South Australia
Water level lower than a week ago. Breezy. Ruff (1) Male (size cf adjacent Red-kneed Dotterel), First immature non-breeding, I think (green-yellow legs; fairly distinct brownish crown). Seen and photographed in two areas of main pond (probably the same bird).
James Harrison

Wed 6 Nov Sanderling and Pectoral Sandpiper Bay of Fires Conservation Area, Tasmania
Group of 70+ Sanderlings on the ocean beach (Bay of Fires) about 1 km south of the Eddystone Point lighthouse with a single Pectoral Sandpiper on the edge of the flock (being harassed by the Sanderlings). Also 8+ Hooded Plovers and many Red-capped Plovers.
Andrew Walter

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and hosted by Eremaea Birds.