birding-aus

Pizzey & Knight Digital Edition review

Subject: Pizzey & Knight Digital Edition review
From: Lynne Kelly <>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:21:33 +1100
I bought the Pizzey & Knight app a few days ago, to add to the Morcombe already
on the iPhone. I've hung around birders a lot, but never got really into it
before. Spiders are my thing. I have decided to take birding more seriously
lately, partly because I have field guides on my phone.

So I am effectively a beginner. I like being able to reduce the list of
possibilities by region, rather than having to look at map after map in a paper
guide to see if the ID I have chosen is even feasible. That makes a big
difference. I don't always have an experienced birder at hand, and if I do,
they don't always see the bird. I won't go on at length - most of what I would
say has been said. The huge benefit is that I always have my phone with me, so
I always have two field guides. Hence I am much more likely to be birdwatching
and learning than I would be if I was dependent on carrying a book with me. I
find when I am waiting somewhere, I will have a look at the app. Having the
sounds is a huge asset, and simply not possible with a paper guide. The
descriptions of calls in books are only vaguely useful, nothing like a
recording of the sound.

I will be using the checklist for my lifer and other lists. I don't already
have a system in place and it means I will always have my lists with me. But
the big advantage is for the next generation. The grandkids love the apps.
Whenever we are out anywhere, they want to check the birds and play the calls.

Delighted with the purchase.

Lynne