birding-aus

Pizzey & Knight Digital Edition review

To: <>
Subject: Pizzey & Knight Digital Edition review
From: "Paul Bartho" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:35:01 +0200
The Pizzey and Knight App is a brilliant App - my opinion. I cannot imagine the
cost to put such a
tool at a birder's disposal.

What I resent is people who make negative remarks about a tool without trying
it out. You may not
want to use it yourself but many will. It is your choice.

However to imply online that birders do not need it, is shameful and
disrespectful to the
developers.

To make remarks like " Gadgets are mostly unnecessary and just lead to lazy
thinking. All one needs
are a scope, binoculars, and a field guide (book)" shows ignorance and lazy
thinking.

And talking of old ways:
*       it started as shoot and sketch, keep the skins
*       then came binoculars and out came pencil and paper to make notes (good
birders continue with
these tools)
*       then someone put together their notes in a book and we all wanted that
as a reference for ID
although it is heavy to lug around.
*       now someone has put together an App for your phone which replaces the
need for a book, is
lighter to carry around and not only gives you the ability to hear bird calls
but to record what you
saw, when and where precisely. You can see lists of birds by location and it
also has photos and
distribution maps amongst many other features. Basically it can do much more
than a book in helping
you to get the correct ID of a bird.

I think that apologies are due for making such negative remarks.

Paul Bartho

Message: 12