birding-aus

RFI Singapore

Subject: RFI Singapore
From: Ian Reid <>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:31:10 +1030
Tom,

I have birded a couple of times on short (ie 1-2 day) stopovers through Singapore. I birded the Botanic Gardens and but probably arrived too late in the day for pleasant birding -- there were lots of toursit groups doing the orchids and it was of course very hot. Still a decent array of birds and worth a visit.

More successful and interesting was a visit to Pasir Ris Park, 10-15min north-west of Changi airport (I got a taxi there from the airport and flagged on dow to take me back). There is an area of mangroves there where I had Collared and White-throated Kingfisher, Night Heron, and the main reason for going there, Mangrove Pitta (a scarce resident in Singapore).

If you are feeling very adventurous and wanting some hardcore rainforest birding, Panti forest in Johor province on the Malay peninsula is about 2.5 hours drive from downtown Singapore. I have visited twice on a day trip: once with some ex-pat birders I know there (very successful), and once on my own (hired a car from airport and drove myself -- still good, but not so successful with only one pair of inexperienced eyes). There's a report from the former on my website.

Let me know if you want more detail about either Pasir Ris park or Panti.

Cheers, Ian