birding-aus

Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update
Date: 4 Nov 2013 03:02:23 +1000

Birdline Northern Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Nov 2013.

Wed 30 Oct Little Curlew, Eastern Yellow Wagtail Holmes Jungle Nature Reserve
Quite a few curlews out on the swamp along with plenty of Brolgas and thousands of geese. The wagtail was sitting by the roadside near the intersection at the bottom of the hill on the way to Palm Creek.
Nick Leseberg

Mon 28 Oct White-winged Black Tern Lee Point, Darwin
Huge numbers of White-winged Black Terns. About 200 resting on the beach, 300 - 500 flying near the shore and hundreds more (1,000 to 1,500??) further out to sea. We visited this site three times during the previous 2 weeks and this was the only occasion we saw more than a few White-winged Black Terns.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Sun 27 Oct Grey Falcon Central Arnhem Highway at Km 6 from SH
The big surprise came right after, as we were driving back not 2 km away from the Shrike-tit spot I saw a pale raptor flying towards us, and on leaping out found it was a big falcon. What colour is it above Pete, I think it's grey? -and the underparts including the underwings were entirely whitish with dusky wing tips and a few small dark feathers in outer secondary edges. It soared up higher and was joined by a second bird, this one also grey above and whitish below with small dark wing tops and a pale looking head, a slighter more gracile bird altogether and with no obvious tail markings on these views. Anyway it all adds up to my bogey bird, a pair of Grey Falcon, missed multiple times at various sites with a UTV years back as my only near encounter! Yay, at long last and saves me a long-delayed twitch off to the Birdsville Track or Borroloola where there are fairly good sites for it!
Phil Gregory

Australian Spotted Crake Glen Helen Gorge
Among the reeds on waters edge before the gorge. Good, strong veiws as bird fed quietly among the edge of the reeds. I sat very quietly and had no difficulty observing for about 20 minutes. Good veiws with binoculars as well.
Shane Green

Birdline Northern Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birds.