birding-aus

Unusual use for a tree guard!

To: Deb Colbourne <>, <>
Subject: Unusual use for a tree guard!
From: Philip Maher <>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:10:15 +1100
Hello Debbie

On several occasions in the mallee, where hollows are quite scarce, I¹ve
flushed an owlet-nightjar from the ground or close to the ground, roosting
near or on the trunk of a tree. They are probably young birds dispersing
after fledging. I suspect your bird has found itself in a tree guard
accidently, although it is a species that will take advantage of what¹s on
offer. Late last year, on two occasions, an owlet-nightjar (or possibly two
separate birds) went down the flue of a pot-bellied stove in my sister¹s
house and lived to tell the tale (see Latest News 18 December 2012 on my
website). I¹ve also seen one come out of a round hole in a concrete bridge
at Lake Bindegolly in SW Queensland.

Cheers

Philip Maher

Philip Maher
Deniliquin
+61 3 58813378

Australian Ornithological Services Pty Ltd
PO Box 385
South Yarra 3141
Victoria
Australia