birding-aus

DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found

To: colin trainor <>
Subject: DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:43:27 +1000
The way population is estimated is essentially just comparing how much
genetic diversity there is between species.  Low genetic diversity implies
a small population, while high genetic diversity implies a bigger
population.  There are a number of biological assumptions required for this
to work though.  In particular it assumes that that population trends have
been consistent in recent years, and that the species is a "K" species (has
few offspring and relatively stable populations, rather than many offspring
and a boom and bust cycle).

If you can get a good estimate of the rate of genetic change over time (and
we do have that), and you have a good estimate of the amount of genetic
diversity between some individuals, you can use statistical methods to
create a predictive model of the size the population (which will take into
account the possibility of by chance only taking samples from closely
related birds within a much larger population).  There's certainly
uncertainty, but unless Night Parrots have a significantly different mating
behaviour to their nearest relatives, or the population has changed very
significantly very recently, an estimate should within an order of
magnitude.

You don't need to individually map the entire genome to determine genetic
diversity.  The easiest technique is to extract DNA and replicate it, and
then cut it up into smaller bits and check the differences in the ratios of
the weights of each small sections of DNA.  This is what the "lines" you
see on DNA test on TV are - just cut up segments of DNA that have been
placed on an electrolysed agar sheet and have along the sheet at different
speeds depending on their weight.  Of course there are much more
sophisticated techniques which give you a better picture too.  I'd have to

Jeremy