birding-aus

DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found

To: colin trainor <>
Subject: DNA confirms elusive Night Parrot found
From: David Clark <>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 23:35:36 +1000
Interesting discussion!  I always wondered how the population of a cryptic,
nocturnal species could be estimated when virtually nothing is known of its
behaviour, range, etc.

I recently attended a presentation on the 'de-extinction' of the Thylacine
and Gastric-brooding Frog and I was surprised to learn that the DNA
extracted from a preserved Thylacine pup was largely human.  Successive
curators couldn't resist the temptation to handle the specimen.  I would
imagine that the Night Parrot specimens have been fondled too.

Cheers

David