birding-aus

please do not publish Grey Falcon locations

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: please do not publish Grey Falcon locations
From: Jonny Schoenjahn <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:41:34 +0800
Hi all,

you would be aware that I conduct an ongoing study on the Grey Falcon (since
2003). I would like to ask people to please not publish sites where the species
has been seen or found roosting or nesting. PLEASE.

The issue 'publishing sites of rare or sensitive species' has been coming up
regularly on Birding-Aus, and I trust that we have had healthy discussions
about the pros and cons already. In regards to publishing sites of rare falcons
however, I wish to make you aware of the following recent paper. The title says
it all:

Booms, T.L. 2012. Banded Alaskan Gyrfalcons discovered in Arabian Falconry.
Journal of Raptor Research 46(2): 226–227.

The find gives food for thought. Our Grey Falcon has an estimated population
size of about 1000 individuals, making it one of the 5 rarest falcon species of
the world.
I suggest to disclose sites of sightings, roosts and nests only to trusted
contacts.

It will be fine to write e.g. 'Grey Falcon seen on our trip through the
Northern Territory', but please refrain from revealing the precise location and
other details such as regular roost because such information may lead to nest
sites.

Please do continue to send reports to me, the study is plagued by chronic data
deficiency and I have no chance without the kind help of people reporting their
sightings to me. I keep all information strictly confidential, otherwise my
study would have got bogged down years ago. Please check out the project's
website for further information and publications, e.g. on field identification,
and why the species is so rare.

Thank you all very much for your consideration.

Cheers,
Jonny

Jonny Schoenjahn
Perth WA