birding-aus

Trip Report: Border Ranges NP + Audio of Albert's Lyrebird

Subject: Trip Report: Border Ranges NP + Audio of Albert's Lyrebird
From: Marc Anderson <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:28:50 +1000
Last week my wife and I spent a couple of nights camping in the Border Ranges National Park, NSW and had a wonderful time. Albert's Lyrebirds were in full song throughout the park, although seeing them was more difficult as they seem to be much shyer than their more famous cousins. Here is a link to an audio recording made last week of a male Albert's Lyrebird - https://soundcloud.com/wildambience/alberts-lyrebird

A few Rufous Scrub Bird's were calling and I managed to get satisfying glimpses of one along the main road up to Forest Tops Campsite. What a spectacular voice - I don't think I have ever heard such a loud, penetrating call from such a small bird! Managed to get a few snippets of audio recorded too.

Noisy Pitta's were found up high at the Pinnacle Lookout - evidently not all individuals are altitudinal migrants. Also a single Russet-tailed Thrush was seen well quite high up in the ranges as well.

Other birds of note were: Sooty Owl (calling near Forest Tops campsite), Paradise Riflebird (heard once only), Green Catbird, a single male Regent Bowerbird, Wompoo Fruit Dove (lower down the mountain in subtropical rainforest), and plenty of Logrunners.

Overall a great winter break with almost all the target species found - still, NO Marbled Frogmouth's seen or heard, a good reason to go back and try again another time!

Regards

Marc Anderson
http://wildambience.com