birding-aus

BARC Checklist

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>, "'Robert Inglis'" <>
Subject: BARC Checklist
From: "Tony Palliser" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 18:57:08 +1000
Hi Bob,

I agree with Dave taxonomy is changing rapidly right now and there is no
"official' list.   For the moment I personally think it best to stay with
the IOC for the reasons already given, but the time may come one day when
BARC will have to change (that doesn't mean I will need to personally).  The
BirdLife list too is and will be changing constantly so none of them are (or
should be) that stable.   For example I heard only yesterday that Western
Ground Parrot is about to  be lumped again by Birdlife International.

For the moment it is a matter of choice and particular needs. If you look
closely at the BirdLife list you will see (to the right) that they have
purposely compared their new list with IOC and Clements so that one can
readily make the choice.  It would be a tough ask to have all websites move
across to one standard list.  Eremaea for example may choose to stay with
Clements.  Certainly before the BirdLife Australia list was released BA had
no issues with BARC operations or which list we used and for the moment the
relationship is still intact and amicable in this regard.

Certainly, if you have a strong interest in Australian birds then you could
simply make use of the BirdLife Australia list just released and I would
certainly recommend it for conservation use in Australia.  But, as already
pointed out most birders that I know are either using IOC or Clements and it
will likely remain that way for them.  Best approach when it comes to
labelling your images would be to stick with one that you like.

At the end of  the day we all just need to enjoy our wildlife.

Kindest regards,

Tony

PS Who was it that said I accept all splits and reject all lumps LOL?