birding-aus

BARC Checklist

To: Robert Inglis <>
Subject: BARC Checklist
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 17:24:05 +1000
A few points Bob (not grammar or spelling!):

   1. I don't know what an "official" list would be. There are no laws in
   this area! I guess one that government adopts would be closest, but with
   our multitude of governments what chance they would all agree?
   2. Whilst BirdLife Australia may as you say endorse the BirdLife
   International taxonomy (I have not checked) as far as I know the list it
   has produced is not 100% compliant. And furthermore it seems that BARC will
   stick with IOC.....
   3. I guess we have lived for some years with "international" birders
   using IOC or Clements or whatever and finding Australia a little strange to
   have its own taxonomy in C&B. (But I guess we may not be unique in that
   respect). Now it seems we have just replaced one Aussie taxonomy by
   another.....