birding-aus

Australian Magpie

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>, "Philip Veerman" <>, "'John Graff'" <>, "'John Penhallurick'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Australian Magpie
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 15:52:58 +1000
A friend has argued that as the Australian Magpie is not related to the European Magpie then we can use names of European birds for other native birds. My view is that we should change the name from 'Australian Magpie' to 'Ground Butcherbird' which is apparently what it is. I am running and ducking as I sign off!!!!

Regards
Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide