birding-aus

Grey Butherbirds Eating Pet Budgie

To: Gordon Cain <>
Subject: Grey Butherbirds Eating Pet Budgie
From: Russ <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 22:45:38 +1000
Our family kept cockatiels for a while, in a medium sized outdoor aviary.
One bird lost a foot one night. We never worked out what did it. The same
bird lost its OTHER foot about a year later, and the sight of the poor bird
climbing around the inside of the aviary was just too pitiful and I had it
euthanised (by a vet). We had a couple of currawongs around at the time -
and I also saw a fox outside the aviary, but I favour the currawong as the
culprit.

That marked the end of our cockatiel phase. We only went down that path
because one turned up at our place and adopted us. I failed to find an
owner in the region, but discovered that cockatiels are the Houdinis of the
avian world. Try Googling "lost cockatiel" some time ...

That's enough from me - my fellow moderators will be telling me this isn't
about Australian wild birds!

Russell Woodford
Geelong