birding-aus

Forest Wagtail - theories?

Subject: Forest Wagtail - theories?
From: Andrew Hobbs <>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 08:36:15 +0800
Not sure about intelligence involvement in migration.

It has been shown that at least some bird migrations are probably genetically controlled (1). One example is the European Blackcap where different populations migrate from central Europe in different directions. Crosses between individuals give progeny which migrate in an intermediate direction. Plus there are many shorebirds where juveniles migrate successfully on their first long distance flight in the absence of adults. I don't see how this latter would work in the absence of a large genetically controlled component.

So it wouldnt surprise me if such migration vagrants have some sort of mutation in the genes of the inbuilt migration navigation system causing them to migrate incorrectly. In general the migration to a benign enviroment is likely to be rare but it would be interesting to know if such vagrants return to the same area in future.

1. Control of Bird Migration by P. Berthold. *Chapman and Hall, 1996.
*

*Cheers
*

*Andrew