birding-aus

Forest Wagtail - theories?

To: "" <>
Subject: Forest Wagtail - theories?
From: Glen Ewers <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:31:11 +0000
Many vagrants to Australia can reasonably be explained as ship- or
storm-'assisted'. Those aside, I've often wondered whether every day there are
birds streaming off land masses in all directions - 99.99% of which drop into
the ocean before reaching landfall, the occasional Hoopoe or Wagtail or Pond
Heron arriving 'safely' (and, even more occasionally, colonising). I have read
about sailors encountering terrestrial birds flying past their ships when miles
out at sea, perhaps resting for a while on the mast or deck, and then
continuing on with no goal apparent.

Birds are, of course, capable of amazing migrations and peregrinations - thanks
to highly evolved and sophisticated brains. We are surely only just beginning
to appreciate how intelligent birds are? We're achieving this, in part, by
removing our own blinkers as to how intelligence might be made manifest. That
said, just as we humans - with our highly evolved and sophisticated brains - do
all sorts of stupid things, why not birds? Some of these birds may have mental
defects, some may just have made a strange (wrong?) decision. We have to be
careful we don't just regard birds as either perfect logicians or else victims
of storms / inadvertent stowaways.

Anyway, after years of voyeurism, that's my virgin sortie into birding-aus.

Cheers, Glen

Message: 5