birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 13 May 2013 07:38:17 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 12 May 2013.

Sat 11 May Azure Kingfisher Inglis River, Wynyard
Single bird seen in the open, unobstructed by vegetation, perched on stick 4m from footbridge at northern end of York St Reserve. Best view ever. No camera.
Richard Ashby

Wed 8 May Gentoo Penguin Fortescue Bay
One Gentoo Penguin was seen by a walking club group about 100m from the campground. Was present from at least 2 to 4.30pm. Only about six previous Australian records, all from Tasmania (I think).
Warwick Risby (submitted by Murray Lord)

Banded Stilt The Neck - Bruny Island
Banded Stilt (3) Feeding on the shore in front of the lookout.
Rob Hamilton

Tue 7 May Spangled Drongo Akaroa, St Helens
This beautiful bird has been chasing insects in our backyard all morning. Took us a while to identify it as we were looking in our Tassie bird book. Found it in our Aust one.
Dale & Lynette Smith

Sun 5 May Arctic Tern Eaglehawk Pelagic
Arctic Tern (1) Short visit to the boat. Identified from photos which show a dark and neatly defined black edge to the outer underwing.
Rob Hamilton

Birdline Tasmania is hosted by Eremaea Birds.