birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 29 Apr 2013 01:32:03 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 28 Apr 2013.

Sun 28 Apr Wedge-tailed Eagle Carlton River Tas 7173
Sighted 3 in all.
Andrew Baker

Fri 26 Apr Freckled Duck (8) Gould's Lagoon Granton Tas
This morning from about 9.30 to 10.30am there were 8 Freckled Ducks. All were in the same location I have twice seen previously this month - mid-lagoon, just south of the signage about the wildlife refuge. Some were swimming, some preening, most sleeping.
Diana Womersley (& birding friend from Sth Aus, Douglas Allington)

Thu 25 Apr Freckled Duck Goulds Lagoon, Granton
We took the opportunity of the public holiday to go to Gould's Lagoon to see if the Freckled Ducks were still there. We arrived about 1:00 pm and immediately saw a group of 7. They were just north of the hide but swam out to the middle of the lagoon when we arrived. They eventually returned and were standing on the mud and swimming in the shallow water around the reeds just north of the hide. There were also at least 4 Australasian Shovelers in the same area.
Paul Tildesley

Tue 23 Apr Freckled Duck Gould's Lagoon, Granton
There are now six Freckled Duck on the lagoon. Seen this morning at the same location as reported on 25 March until disturbed by a White-bellied Sea-Eagle flying over the lagoon. Birds dispersed and then gradually returned to their roosting location.
Graham Collins, Anne Collins and 2 others.

Sat 6 Apr Australasian Bittern Strahan
The bird was sighted in the buttongrass swamp just above Strahan airport approximately one kilometer from the junction of Ocean Beach Road and the road to Hells Gates. The bird was flushed immediately adjacent to the road to Ocean Beach and appeared to have the paler plumage of a juvenile. Binoculars were superfluous as the bird did its characteristic lumbering take off from the one metre grass and dropped about ten metres away. I flushed it again at the cost of some wet boots and again it appeared to have juvenile plumage. The bird disappeared about twenty five metres further away. In forty years of travelling and bushwalking in the south west I had not come across the species before. Does anyone know if it is relatively common in this area?
Chris Lloyd

Birdline Tasmania is hosted by Eremaea Birds.