birding-aus

Mundane & useless threads! Back to Night Parrots andidentifying birds co

To: "Philip Veerman" <>, "'Peter Shute'" <>, "'Philip,kylie,Joshua,noah'" <>
Subject: Mundane & useless threads! Back to Night Parrots andidentifying birds correctly
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:35:28 +1000
Well stated Philip,

While I agree that bullying and insults have no place on Birding-aus I do believe that using the correct names and encouraging new members to do the same is very important. If a person sees what they believe to be species A and they add that to their list that is great but when that record reaches the public domain it needs to be verified. A robust discussion, minus any insults or aggression, is a healthy thing. People can get very precious about someone questioning their records but it is not a personal attack but a method of determining the veracity of the record. Often the people doing the questioning have made mistakes in their past and realise that bird ID is not always simple, despite the plethora of field guides. While I totally oppose any personal attacks on other people on the list it is important to allow a robust discussion and to question records and to be a bit 'pedantic' about the use of names and their spelling.

I encourage new posters to not be too sensitive as most people that I know on the list are very helpful and friendly. I do know that sometimes people send unacceptable responses directly to people that have posted on the list. This should not happen and it is sad that people leave the list due to one or two people who do not behave ethically towards others.

Regards
Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide