birding-aus

Mundane & useless threads!

To: "Philip,kylie,Joshua,noah" <>
Subject: Mundane & useless threads!
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 03:24:28 +1000
Good points, Philip, but I'd just like to clear up what I believe might be a
misconception about how the capitalisation thread started. I believe that
poster was suggesting that the grader driver may have *verbally* misunderstood
"Night Parrot" for any kind of "night parrot", and not that he was picking up a
mistake in the original posting. Ie. it was used as an example of where
capitalisation assists correct communication.

What followed was mostly more of the same old preaching to the converted with
really only one new fact being added to previous capitalisation threads (that
Wikipedia is a collision point between the two styles).

I hope you won't be discouraged by your previous experience. I found your
posting in the archives, but no replies. So what you received must have been
all by private emails. That's interesting in itself, as it implies that some
others are unwilling to post directly to the list, possibly for the same reason.

I must admit that I find the behaviour on this list far better than many I've
particated in since the wild days of bulletin boards nearly 20 years ago. I'm
wondering whether my previous experiences have hardened me, or whether perhaps
I'm the product of a kind of cyber Darwinism - survival of the impervious.

Sent from my iPad