birding-aus

North American Field Guide

Subject: North American Field Guide
From: David Adams <>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 13:48:46 +1100
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Ian Reid <> wrote:

> I was visiting San Francisco for a conference a couple of years ago.  I
> got in touch with the Sacramento Audubon who I discovered were running a
> field trip to the Sierra Valley that weekend. Really friendly group and
> knowledgeable leaders who were really happy for me to join for the day.
>  For birds, scenery and company it ranks up there in the collection of
> "best birding days".

This reminds me to mention the Santa Cruz Bird Club. If you work your way
up the coast of California, Santa Cruz is part way up the
beautiful Monterey Bay. The Santa Cruz club runs fantastic outings to all
sorts of destinations in the area both in-land and coastal:

http://www.santacruzbirdclub.org/Calendar_of_Events.html

There's a lot more of interest than birds in the area but the birds are
really first rate all through central coastal California, and the birders
there are supremely well organized. If your'e there in the winter, see
about getting inland for the Sandhill Cranes. If you are heading that way,
consider joining the local Monterey bird mailing list:

Folks can help you with sight suggestions (Elkhorn Slough!), specific birds
(California Condor!) and unusual sightings for the area (Brown Boobies,
Skimmers, etc.) There are just so many good birds and animals in the
Monterey-Silicon Valley, including lots of alcids, loons, scoters, grebes,
ducks, geese, raptors, warblers, hummingbirds...the list goes on an on. You
have a chance of seeing migrating Grey Whales, Sea Otters (readily seen),
Northern Elephant Seal (they're at Ano Nuevo and you have to buy tickets
for the reserve), various sorts of other seals, Coyote, Bobcat (not
commonly seen but commonish), squirrels and so on. There are Puma/Cougar in
the hills but they're not easily seen. If you find half a deer lying around
though, you know a Cougar was there....

Have a great time.