birding-aus

Short Pied Oystercatcher

To: <>
Subject: Short Pied Oystercatcher
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:41:10 +1100
Jeremy writes of being sceptical. I would think fishing line/rubbish
explanation is likely. I take Mike's comment to refer to describing that
other causes also exist. About the clams, I wonder how quick they can shut,
is the damage done rapidly by injury on the immediate closing or is it by
staying on the foot for a long time, presumably causing gangrene, and if the
latter, why would the clams do that and not just release and fall off after
a short time? I too have seen Oystercatchers (and gulls) missing their toes
and quite "happy" Pied Oystercatchers with leg bands.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Jeremy O'Wheel
Sent: Saturday, 23 February 2013 9:11 PM        To: Mike Carter Cc:
birding-aus     Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Short Pied Oystercatcher

Thanks Mike. I was a little skeptical about the fishing line/rubbish
explanation since it seemed unlikely to tangle so tightly as to cut off
circulation, or for birds when tangled to fly away with so much force as to
rip their feet off (not to say that could never happen).

Jeremy