birding-aus

Short Pied Oystercatcher - one from 2000 and 2004 - photos.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Short Pied Oystercatcher - one from 2000 and 2004 - photos.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:43:42 +1000
On May 30 2000 (a little prior to my digital SLR camera days) I observed and
photographed an Australian Pied Oystercatcher Haematopus longirostris (aka
OZPO) at Woody Point, SE Queensland, Australia. This bird was one of many OZPOs
regularly at that location but it was different in not having any feet.
Although this OZPO didn't seem as ‘lively’ as its compatriots it was obviously
well able to cope and cater for itself as it moved around that particular
location and a couple of other locations within a couple of kilometres for the
next four years. The food supply must have been plentiful and relatively easy
to harvest.
The last photo I have of that bird was taken on 4 June 2004. I don’t know how
long the bird actually survived but that was the last time I photographed it
and I have the feeling I did not see it again after that date.

I have added a page to my website http://www.photos-n-guides.com/ with some
more comments and the first and last photos I took of that oystercatcher.
That page can be see at http://www.photos-n-guides.com/html/a_feetless_ozpo.html

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld