birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 4 Feb 2013 01:31:56 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Feb 2013.

Sat 2 Feb Nankeen Night Heron Latrobe
Nankeen Night Heron still present after following up John Tongue's recent posting.
Rob Hamilton

Unknown Approx. 15km south east of Evandale on Nile Road
Hi I'm not usually into birds but I was out photographing landscapes & I came across this bird, it appears to be some kind of pheasant?? Any feedback as to what it is would be appreciated. [Moderator's Comment: Paul, looks like an immature Common Pheasant. There are a number of feral populations around the state.]
Paul Leedham

Thu 31 Jan Swift Parrot Windermere forshore Claremont
Two birds flew in and sat on a garden statue near our pond both about 20-25 cm in length, beautifully coloured, another two followed and sat inside of covered out door area on the back of a chair less than a metre from me, the two from the staue then followed the other two sitting across from me on the back of a another chair, both pairs were preening each other for about two minutes before flying off, i would have taken a photo but as they were so close i was worried any movement may scare them off.
madeline keir

Wed 30 Jan Ground Parrot Strahan
Ground Parrot (1) Thank you Eremaea Birds. Just one found. Definitely not shy and just 10 feet if that from me. Stayed on the stem of a button grass stalk for a good two minutes. Killing myself I didnt have a camera. Found on Petuna Aquaculture Fisheries private road very near white PVC pipe on northern side of road.
Judith Lattaway

Mon 28 Jan Banded Stilt Logan Lagoon, Flinders Island
Up to 2000 Banded Stilts in the north-east corner of Logan Lagoon. This is the same flock as reported by Liz Znidersic and Dr Sue Robinson in December of last year and it seems likely to me that it has been there since they first reported it the previous March (even though there were no reports in the interim). Although the birds seem quite settled, water levels in the lagoon look to have receded dramatically in the last month or so, so they may not be there for much longer.
Paul Brooks

Whistling Kite Richmond
Whistling Kite (1) Flying low over paddocks. Mottled, pale tawny colour underneath, m pattern visible underwings, 'fingers' clearly visible, ruling out a falcon.
Ben Walmsley

Hooded Plover Marion Bay
Hooded Plover (25) While walking back on the beach from the tip of The Spit, people walking from the other direction flushed 21 Hooded Plover towards us, landing about 30 metres in front of us. A wonderful sight. There were 5 adults and 16 juveniles. They had 2 Red-necked Stint with them. 4 other adults were seen at the tip of The Spit.
Rob Hamilton

Birdline Tasmania is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.