birding-aus

Bird hides

To: Simon Robinson <>,
Subject: Bird hides
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 21:02:41 +1100
I am always annoyed by the standard so-called Minsmere hide - basically a dark box with narrow hatches opening above a shelf (to rest elbows) and a fixed bench to sit on. You come in, it's dark, and you trip over the bench and bark your shins. The usual wooden floor is noisy as well. (Could cheap synthetic matting or carpet be provided?) The hatches are not always the right height and the bench is seldom at the correct distance to sit comfortably - and if you're my age, it's tricky to climb over it to sit down. The bench/shelf/hatch problem is particularly bad for children and small people.

I would prefer to see a part of the wall adapted for those who wish to /stand /and look out, from small children to those over 6'6" in height, with many openings at different heights from the floor. This might make things easier for scopes. And there is the problem of the wheel-chair bound.

It is absolutely essential to face the hide so that one does not look directly into the sun - the glare off the water at the Spectacles Hide at Point Cook (Vic.) makes it very hard to use on a bright day. Birds are silhouetted against bright water.

Observatory-type windows are good for children (and others) because many can look out at once. Sloped one-way glass seems to conceal people from birds (but tinting annoys photographers). However if you have a notebook or Field Guide close to the glass and turn over pages, the movement will scare the birds. Another advantage is that bird movements can be seen as, say a flock flies in from a distance, or a raptor sweeps in and startles everything into flight.

Anthea Fleming