birding-aus

Interesting Dietary Observations - Square-tailed Kite and Nankeen Night-

To: "Nick Leseberg" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Interesting Dietary Observations - Square-tailed Kite and Nankeen Night-Heron
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 15:13:30 +1100
The following is Stephen Debus' comment on the observation:

"Hi Greg,

Thanks for the notes.  I can use the kite one as a field note in Boobook,
but would also point out that there have been 2 papers in ABW (not long
before it became AFO) devoted to Square-tails taking paper-wasp nests and
eating the larvae (with photos in one), and an earlier one that mentions
the habit.  I don't have it on me right now, but think I mentioned it in
the raptor field guide 2nd edn too.  HANZAB 2 was comprehensive, but it's
20 years old now and superseded by many raptor papers (cited in the field
guide...).

Cheers,

Steve"

For those who are not aware 'ABW' refers to Australian Bird Watcher and 'AFO' refers to Australian Field Ornithology.

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide
PO Box 63 Coutts Crossing NSW 2460