birding-aus

Oswald's inland seabirds - shearwater at Larnook, NSW

To: <>
Subject: Oswald's inland seabirds - shearwater at Larnook, NSW
From: Stephen Brooking <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:52:19 +1100
Further to recent reports from SE Qld regarding seabirds seen inland following
cyclone oswald's passage, I found a slightly dishevelled but relatively strong
Wedge-tailed Shearwater flopping about on long grass next to a local creek at
Larnook in NE NSW, (roughly halfway between Nimbin and Kyogle, approx 50kms
directly inland, as the shearwater flies) at about 5.30pm on
Wednesday 30th Jan after work,  the storms and rain having ended the
previous evening. Having been a carer and animal rescuer I was aware that these
birds rarely do well under such circumstances, but it was still pretty strong
and took some fresh water though I had no appropriate food to offer (what would
be appropriate anyway?), so I quickly took the decision (after consultation
with my very understanding partner) to make a mercy dash to the nearest
appropriate coast. The bird was released at the headland at Cabarita Beach
about 9.30pm where the weather was beautifully balmy and the ocean had become
very gentle compared to recent days. Predictably, it made no effort to fly away
but we placed the bird in a very sheltered tussock on the front edge of the
headland where it quickly seemed comfortable and relaxed, gleaning moisture
from surrounding grasses with it's beak. Obviously it's chances are slim but we
felt it at least deserved a chance after simply surviving the initial ordeal.