birding-aus

Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip

To: "'Nikolas Haass'" <>, "'Mike Carter'" <>, "'Tony Palliser'" <>, <>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull at Broome tip
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 00:45:32 +1100
Ok everyone, time to put the kettle on for a cup of tea and calm down.
Nobody should be embarrassed by how this bird is eventually identified because
it is a very difficult individual, so let's take stock of the awkward bits.

1- the bird has a somewhat hefty bill and that doesn't scream out fuscus.
2- it's a genuinely dark bird, this wasn't easy to work out from the earliest
photos, but Rohan's images clinch this, probably too dark even for typical nom
heuglini.
3- the wing is dark but black features on Ps5 and 6 are easily discerned
against greyer rest of feather, not really what you would expect on a fully
adult fuscus, but might not be impossible.
4- Rohan's dorsal shot shows the remnants of a small white mirror on inside web
of P9, apparently 5% to 16%(KM Olsen) of fuscus can have this especially males,
this sort of works with the bill size. White mirror on P9 is more common for
ssp intermedius which I have to say this bird looks a hell of a lot like
according to all of these awkward features and ignoring the extremely reduced
likelihood of that form ever reaching Australia.
5- this bird has dark tips to under-primary coverts and a mid-tone eye, both
features of immaturity in conflict with everything else shown by this bird.
Could the less than black inner webs of Ps 5 and 6 contrasting with black outer
feature consequently also indicate a younger adult fuscus, just throwing ideas
up in the air here. Would seem odd for a younger adult to show mirror on P9 but
that may be irrelevant. Fuscus is known to mature a year ahead of the other
Lesser Black Backed forms.
6- The bill is very bright yellow, this probably works better for fuscus than
heuglini.

So we are sort of left with an "intermedius-like" younger adult? fuscus. This
bird is definitely not easy and will probably be solved in Europe rather than
Australia.

Cheers Jeff.