birding-aus

Brown SongLark now a Grassbird

To: "'Mark and Amanda Young'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Brown SongLark now a Grassbird
From: Stephen Murray <>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 19:09:15 +1000
Hello Mark. Isn't it interesting that you can post a nice clear photo of a
relatively common bird and get such a difference of opinion about its
identity. I too thought it was a Tawny Grassbird, which are very common in
Brisbane (where I live),  but I have now changed my mind. If you look at
this galley of TGB photos http://www.pbase.com/sjmurray/tawny_grassbird you
will see that in each case the bill is longer and more robust than your
bird; the tail is longer; and the dark stripe through the eye is absent. The
other thing is that I don't think I've ever seen a TGB on the ground like
that whereas LGB's readily poke about on the ground.
Cheers Steve Murray