birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, December 3, 2012 to Sunday, December 9, 2012:

Area: SA

Date: Sunday, December 2, 2012

Location: Hanna Lake, Jones Road, Balhannah.

White-necked Heron (Ardea pacifica) (1) A single White-necked Heron together
with a Great Egret and White Ibis in wet grass along southern shore of Hanna
Lake.

Little Black Cormorant (Phalacrocorax sulcirostris) (30) Approximately 30
Little Black Cormorant present. They left Hanna Lake and were seen a little
later on large dam at junction of Jones Road and Pains road Hahndorf.

Reported by: Bob Snell on Monday, December 3, 2012

Date: Monday, December 3, 2012

Location: On our property at Rockleigh

Rainbow Bee-eater (Merops ornatus) (2) After being away for 4 weeks the
bee-eaters are back.

Striated Pardalote (Pardalotus striatus) (8) Striated pardalotes were
everywhere; usually they are just heard at a distance. A youngster, slightly
larger than its parent in its fluffy feathers, was being fed. THe adult had a
grub which was repeatedly bashed against a branch till well and truly dead,
while the youngster waited patiently for its meal.

Crimson Rosella (Platycercus elegans) (6) Rain this week resulted in our small
pool being filled from the overflow from the rainwater tank. At dusk half a
dozen crimson rosellas came in to have a drink, but the chieftain took so long
most of the others flew off before they had their turn.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Monday, December 3, 2012

Date: Friday, December 7, 2012

Location: Private woodlot near Clayton Bay

Black-chinned Honeyeater (Melithreptus gularis) (3) An adult with 2 juveniles-
foraging in a private Eucalyptus cladocalyx woodlot on the outskirts of
Clayton.The juveniles were being fed,as well as gleaning foliage for
themselves-great to see!

Reported by: Nathaniel Doecke on Friday, December 7, 2012

Date: Sunday, December 9, 2012

Location: 6th Avenue, St Peters

Magpie-lark (Grallina cyanoleuca) (3) I was doing my monthly atlassing walk
near home, and right in front of me on the footpath was a baby magpie lark, 1/2
adult size and all fluffy. The parents spotted me and zoomed in for an attack.
They swooped and swooped and swooped and shrieked at me until I had walked
(very quickly) 100 metres down the road. Believe me, it was scary. I was
shaking by the time I was out of target range!

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Sunday, December 9, 2012

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'