birding-aus

Threatened species and the OBP

To: Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: Threatened species and the OBP
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 12:41:31 +1100
Stephen,

Peter is correct in surmising that the reason that one can not legally pick up
eggs, feathers, shell etc, is to do with prosecutions. Leaving open the "I just
found it on the ground" loophole, would make prosecution of traffickers very
difficult, as the onus of proof still lies with those prosecuting in this
country. It is similar to reason why we have the laws on "theft by finding".

Cheers,

Carl Clifford