birding-aus

Threatened species and the OBP

To: <>
Subject: Threatened species and the OBP
From: "Richard King" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:33:23 +0800
>From everyone's comments, I agree it's probably a whole group of factors,
especially the RSPB being very active in the UK. I still think it's more a
regional issue, with Australians caring less due to other local factors. I
have read somewhere many years ago, that some of the factors why Australians
don't relate to the environment are the harsh generally hot climate, mostly
nocturnal animals and tough spiky plants. In other words, none of the soft
very green plants and moist inviting environments of Europe, the long
distances to some places causing feelings of remoteness and isolation,
probably also not helping.

I also agree with Peter, that access to wildlife or birding areas doesn't
seem to be a problem most of the time, and if people want to get involved in
saving wildlife there are many opportunities around. The internet abounds
with stuff.

I'm not sure Simon that I have understood your survey details, but a
response of 1015 from 80 000 seems very low, that saying to me again people
don't 'care'. Saying 75% do care, from the few responses, doesn't seem
valid. There is a huge difference between someone saying they 'want to see
amazing wildlife' and actually 'caring'!  Caring involves action of some
type, generally a heart attitude. Most of the people I meet and know, love
seeing wildlife, but none that I'm aware of actually do anything like care
or want to! I've taken many people birding who have really enjoyed it, but
not become birders or joined any groups! Some after being told that this
birding 'area' is threatened, just respond with a 'shame about that'.

At the end of the day, the wildlife environment is like climate change, we
know things are going to go from bad to worse, but no one will do anything
until it's well too late (probably already is!). All of us will just have to
adapt to what's left.

Richard King