birding-aus

wetlands destruction on the Sunshine Coast

To: <>
Subject: wetlands destruction on the Sunshine Coast
From: "Robyn H" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:40:12 +1000
Greg

Wonderful that you have knowledge of these sites.  Most of us know there are
birds there but have no specific knowledge to back up anything we may try to do
to save these areas.

Do you contribute your identifications and information to such a thing as the
Faunawatch database which is available to the Sunshine Coast Council?  It may
not be perfect and is far from a complete record, but contributions from people
with knowledge beyond the average would enhance the information greatly.

If very few know about what is there, an area is unlikely to be saved.  If the
owner does not know, and does not appreciate what is harboured on his property,
how is he expected to treat it with care, respect and value?

Your reference to an owner cleaning up the “mess” is typical of what is
happening here in all sorts of habitats.  Tidiness is the enemy of our small
birds, for feeding, habitat and protection, not to mention all our small
mammals, reptiles, insects, and so on.

Robyn Howard
Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast