birding-aus

Night flying birds?

To: <>, birding-aus threads <>
Subject: Night flying birds?
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:34:23 +1100
Hi Chris, I think u may find that the "few vocal beach stone curlews around
too" are actually Bush Stone-curlews.As far as the other creatures flying
about, then some more info would be more than helpful... i'd say what u are
seeing are some small insectivorous bats - the only birds there u will see at
night hawking the beach light on Plam Cove would be (on the very odd occasions)
Barking Owls, Papuan Frogmouths or Large-tailed Nightjars. I've got not much to
report from bird behaviour here this morning due to the eclipse - maybe the
birds went a little quiet & then started up again, but it was hard to discern
any difference from what they would normally do, say just prior to a heavy
shower, when it goes a little dark when the heavy dark clouds are
threatening... I just think it was timed too closely to dawn on a dullish
morning as it was, to have too much effect on the local birds... Cheers  Martin
Cachard,    Cairns,   0428 782 808