birding-aus

Listing software -apps for iPads

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Listing software -apps for iPads
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:05:17 +1000
Hi Mark,

I've been using Birdwatcher Diary from Steven's Creek software (in the US) and
I am completely delighted with it. Don't let the US origin frighten you off,
you can import lists from other countries throughout the world if you like, or
you can make up your own lists. So far I've just imported their version of the
Australian list. Discrepancies are no problem though, as you can add species
into it, as well as split or lump species when you need to as taxonomy changes
occur.

The mapping and sharing capability is very good, but I cannot compare to the
other apps or Eremea. The mapping feature allows you to quickly recall your
records and see them on an aerial map, or send a friend a record with google
earth coords.

There are some limitations I've noted (ability to add more information relating
to sites is something I'd like to see), but it is put together by birders for
birders and takes on board input from birders. it has the option of uploading
your sightings to secure cloud-like system and they have the option of sending
bird data to ebird. The ebird option is not a lot of use for us in Australia at
the moment, but such a system of quickly reporting lists, or species records
with date, time and geographic location integrated (all recorded as you record
species) into a central data-base, that would avoid record duplication (due to
perfect match) is very desirable for any country. It was relatively cheap,
around $13.00 I think and all updates are free as they come available.

I've just given a quick overview, but it's worth a look since it is easy to use
and very sophisticated in what it offers.

All the best,

Allan Richardson
Morisset NSW