birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 27 Aug 2012 01:30:49 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 26 Aug 2012.

Sun 26 Aug Baillons and Spotless Crakes, Striped Honeyeater Minnippi
3 Spotless Crakes showing together on rhs of lake viewing platform mid morning, 2 more birds seen near island. At least 4 Baillon's Crakes seen/heard around the lake. A calling Striped Honeyeater on the lake Island was a Minnippi tick for me! Also 1 Latham's Snipe reported by other birders
Stuart Pickering

Black Kite, Eastern Grass Owl Bli Bli, Sunshine Coast
About 20 Black Kites attracted to grass fires... also 2 Eastern Grass Owls
Greg Roberts & Jim Sneddon

Cotton Pygmy-goose Dowse Lagoon, Sandgate
The two birds initially reported by Steve Murray were seen again today. Southerden Rd side of the lagoon, 20m away from the viewing platform. Seem to prefer afternoon sun! Took a photo through my bins with my phone.
Elliot Leach, Jack Whiting, two nice anonymous birdo's

Sat 25 Aug Turquoise Parrot Main Range NP, Goomburra Section
One male along the Ridge Track.
Chris Wiley

Eastern Grass Owl, King Quail, Lewin's Rail Kedron Brook Wetlands
Single Grass Owl at 18.15hrs At least 4 calling Lewin's Rails Several King Quail calling, one seen -27.403902, 153.080583
Tom & Marie Tarrant

Baillon's and Spotless Crakes Minnippi
At least 2 Baillon's Crakes (possibly more) showing well on the Rhs of the Lake viewing platform, 2 Spotless Crakes here as well. Also 1 Rufous Night Heron and Sacred Kingfisher on the Island and 2 Collared Sparrowhawks overhead.
Stuart Pickering

Pale yellow robin Anstead
Seen with other bird photogs in mid storey up on the sealed road
Ross Monks

Cotton Pygmy-Goose Dowse Lagoon, Sandgate
A pair located just before viewing platform on Southerden Road. Seems to be the first record on eremaea for this site. Photo by Mike Murray.
Steve, Bill and Mike Murray

White-eared Monarch Samsonvale Cemetery
Adult bird located approximately 100 metres west of car park. Few records at this location. Photo by Mike Murray.
Steve, Bill and Mike Murray

Thu 23 Aug Sooty Oystercatcher North Point Moreton Island
Two birds seen flying low over water from rocks at North Point, Moreton Island
Gavin O'Meara

Tue 21 Aug Yellow Chat Port Alma - Port Alma Rd
A pair seen along a ditch just to the N of the Port Alma Road.
Rob Morris

Squatter Pigeon Bouldercombe
A couple of birds seen in the town early this morning. This species is apparently common around this rural town
Rob Morris

Sun 19 Aug Shining Flycatcher Inskip Point
2 birds in mangroves... also nicely plumaged overwintering Common Terns
Greg Roberts

Cotton Pygmy-goose Intersection of D'Aguilar Hwy and Mary Smokes Creek Rd
Single male on small water-body, this has been a fairly regular site over the years. -26.93424, 152.66869
Tom & Marie Tarrant

Sat 18 Aug Hall's Babbler Bowra Station
Sue and I observed a flock of 12 Hall's Babblers at the end of Saw Pit Waterhole road. They were very confiding.
John & Sue O'Malley

Chestnut-breasted Qualthrush Bowra Station western paddock @ 3.5km sign
Sue and I observed an active pair of CBQT at the 3.5km western paddock sign. The male was doing a typical pigeon bobbing motion with fanned tail to the female. Only CBQT seen at Bowra. Also seen were Halls Babbler; WB Treecreeper and many others.
John & Sue O'Malley

Tue 7 Aug Flock Bronzewing Between Bedourie & Boulia
It was impossible to count the extreme number of Flock Bronzewings north of Bedourie - the attached image has been cropped & still only covered about a tenth of the area of one vast flock within binocular range. I would have to say that "tens of thousands" would be conservative!!
Martin Cachard

Mon 6 Aug Black Falcon Between Bedourie & Boulia
A nesting pair of Black Falcons were enjoying lush times, with tens of thousands of Flock Bronzewings in the general area.
Martin Cachard

Sun 5 Aug Eyrean Grasswren South of Big Red dune crossing
A short lineal search of about 800mtrs atop of one dune crest well to the S of Big Red, yielded 3 pairs of Eyrean Grasswrens, with one pair observed carrying food. Nice to see 2 pairs of White-backed Swallows working on nesting as well. Many many Crimson & Orange Chats, Cinnamon Quail-thrush & Budgies in the swales either side of the dune I walked.
Martin Cachard

Thu 2 Aug Flock Bronzewing, Black Falcon, Orange Chat Cuttaburra Crossing, Eyre Creek, S of Bedourie
While unsuccessfully searching for Grey Grasswrens at Cuttaburra Crossing, a high number of Flock Bronzewings (500 in one flock) & myriad Orange Chats & Budgerigars were feeding in the vast yellow flowered riverflats. No doubt supporting several Black Falcons in the area - unfortunately many feral cats were seen here too!!
Martin Cachard

Gibberbird South of Astrelba Downs NP
Many Gibberbirds (or as I prefer to call them, Gibber Chats) were seen in very healthy gibber country, some pairs being quite inquisitve - a nice adult male is depicted here.
Martin Cachard

Spotted Harrier South of Coorabulka Station
In the early morning both an adult & a 2nd-year Spotted Harrier cruised low along the creekline where I was camped - an image of the immature bird is attached.
Martin Cachard

Letter-winged Kite, Black Falcon South of Coorabulka Station, W of Diamantina NP
The nesting pair of Letter-winged Kites were busy hunting at sunrise & still on the look out for prey until 8am, offering some great viewing. A good search along the same creekline found no other LWK's there, however it did support a very high number of other raptors including a pair of Black Falcons & Barn Owls, as well as mature & young birds of the following species - Brown Falcon, Whistling & Black Kites, Kestrels, Wedge-tailed Eagles & Spotted Harriers, indicating a very healthy season.
Martin Cachard

Wed 1 Aug Letter-winged Kite, Flock Bronzewing Springvale & Coorabulka Stations, W of Diamantina NP
The first of very many Flock Bronzewings were seen between these 2 stations, with one flock totalling over 150 birds. A pair of Letter-winged Kites were attending a nest with young south of Coorabulka Station, getting active at around 5:30pm.
Martin Cachard

Black Honeyeater, Black Falcon, Gibberbird Far Western section of Diamantina NP
Between Gum Hole & the western boundary of the NP provided some very good birding, even in the middle part of the day. A single male Black Honeyeater was perched singing & performing display flights beside the rd, a pair of Black Falcons were soaring near Boundary Bore, & a few scattered pairs of Gibberbirds were found.
Martin Cachard

Black Falcon, Spotted Bowerbird Gum Hole Yards, Diamantina NP
A lone Black Falcon made a very fast fly-by this morning beside the old stockyards, where upon arrival I was greeted by a very inquisitive Spotted Bowerbird that kept following me closely for over 30 minutes. Both White-browed & Masked Woodswallows were in very good numbers.
Martin Cachard

Tue 31 Jul Plains-wanderer W of Gum Hole, Diamantina NP
A lone adult female Plains-wanderer was seen well at 8:30pm next to the rd about 4kms W of Gum Hole. It was interesting to me that no Inland Dotterels or any Button-quails were seen on a rather lengthy night session that evening - I covered some 100kms of tracks in very healthy habitat.
Martin Cachard

Striated Grasswren, Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Grey-headed Honeyeater Lark Quarry area, SW of Winton
Between the airstrip & reserve boundary E of Lark Quarry this morning, I located 2 pairs of Striated Grasswrens, one pair of Rufous-crowned Emu-wrens, & a high number of Grey-headed Honeyeaters & Spinifexbirds.
Martin Cachard

Mon 30 Jul Striated Grasswren Opalton, S of Winton
Near Opalton today I found 2 pairs of singing Striated Grasswren, both pairs active in the middle of the day.
Martin Cachard

Hall's Babbler, Black Honeyeater, Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, Rufous-crowned Emu-wren Bladensburg National Park, S of Winton
A party of 9 Hall's Babblers, a pair of Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush, a lone juvenile Black Honeyeater, 2 groups of Rufous-crowned Emu-wrens, & many Spinifexbirds were among the many good birds seen today near Logan's Falls. Despite a thorough search of the quality spinifex habitat W of Logan's Falls, I failed to locate any Striated Grasswrens where I'd seen them in March last year.
Martin Cachard

Sun 29 Jul Black Falcon, Golden-headed Cisticola, Ground Cuckoo-shrike, Pink-eared Duck Whitewood Bore, 90km SW of Hughenden
I witnessed an unsuccessful Black Falcon stoop on an unsuspecting pair of Pink-eared Ducks at Whitewood Bore on the Kennedy Dev Rd, midway between Hughenden & Winton. A party of 5 Ground Cuckoo-shrikes were also present, along with a pair of Golden-headed Cisticolas right on the limit of their range.
Martin Cachard

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Southern Queensland and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.