birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 00:05:07 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, July 30, 2012 to Sunday, August 5, 2012:

Area: SA

Date: Saturday, July 28, 2012

Location: Kangaroo Island (Snug Cove)

Bush Stone-curlew (Burhinus grallarius) (1) Our annual winter trips to this
area since 2004 still brings us regular sightings of pairs of these birds and
in some years with chicks.
The proliferation of feral cats in this area leads to some concern about
survival rates?

Banded Lapwing (Vanellus tricolor) (1) Also great to see the Banded Plovers
breeding well again, 3 or possibly 4 pairs this year with around half a dozen
the norm on this relatively small property.
Once again, cats are problematic..

Southern Boobook (Ninox boobook) (1) Great to see and hear a lot more of these
owls about and one flushed out of a barn on the property.

Scarlet Robin (Petroica boodang) (1) Normally good numbers about, but only one
male seen this time around?

Reported by: Anthony John Bainbridge on Thursday, August 2, 2012

Date: Monday, July 30, 2012

Location: Third Avenue, St Peters

Mistletoebird (Dicaeum hirundinaceum) (2) 2 mistletoebirds were sitting in the
sparse twigs at the top of a casuarina on our nature strip. The light was poor
and I couldn't get closer than 20 metres before they flew off. One was a bright
red-breasted male and the other was red-breasted but not so bright. Maybe a
juvenile male ?
There are plenty of mistletoe plants in our vicinity (and in our garden) but we
rarely see a mistletoebird, and we have never seen more than one before.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Monday, July 30, 2012

Date: Thursday, August 2, 2012

Location: Mouth of the river Murray Hindmarsh Island

Red-necked Avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) (400 +) Birds were roosting
on the ocean side of the channel.

Caspian Tern (Sterna caspia) (150) Birds were on a sand spit along with several
hundred Crested Tern on the Island side of the channel

Pied Oystercatcher (Haematopus longirostris) (84) On the same sand spit as the
Terns.

Sooty Oystercatcher (Haematopus fuliginosus) (8) Birds were on the Ocean Beach

Red-necked Stint (Calidris ruficollis) (25) birds were observed on both sides
of the channel along with 8 Red-capped Plover. Large numbers of New Zealand Fur
Seals in the channel and in the mouth.

Reported by: Winston Syson on Thursday, August 2, 2012

Date: Saturday, August 4, 2012

Location: Onkaparinga Recreation Park

Brown Quail (Coturnix ypsilophora) (15+) A large covey of at least 15 birds. I
disturbed them while working in the revegetation block near the Pingle Farm
ruins- have seen them regularly in this area over the last 3 years.

Reported by: Nathaniel Doecke on Saturday, August 4, 2012

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'