birding-aus

Downloading sound files from Xeno Canto

To: <>, <>
Subject: Downloading sound files from Xeno Canto
From: Judith Hoyle <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 21:02:27 +0000
Hi John,

These are the steps I use to download and then upload across int iTunes.  May
seem to be fiddly, but once you get used to it, it is a doddle, and takes no
time at all!

Go to Your My Music folder.

Create a new folder eg name of region you are going to visit).

Go to Xeno Canto and to the left of the recording you want to down load there
is computer disc icon. Right click on this.

>From the choices given, click on 'save as'

The first time you do this, it may open up your My Music folder and you will
have to reopen your new file.  From there on in though every time you repeat
the step it will open the new folder.

As the name of the bird can come out in various formats I copy the name I have
typed in to the XC search box and paste it into the File Name box - saves time
in the end.

If you want to have the recording end up in iTunes, and don't know how to do
this, read on....

Open iTunes. Then open My Computer, but keep it small so it stays in front of
the ITunes screen.  Find the new folder with your XC recordings.  Don't open
it.  Click and drag the entire folder over on top of your iTunes Library (over
the word, Library itself).  Drop it there and all the songs in the folder will
be dumped into iTunes.  Once there, the easiest way to make a playlist is to
click on Recently Added.  All the recordings will be in view.  You then
highlight the lot and click and drag them all at once into your new playlist.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Judith