birding-aus

Bimblebox finches

To: Ian May <>
Subject: Bimblebox finches
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:28:41 +1000
Hi Ian,

I'm sure you have already guessed this but I'd say the caller on your
talkback show was horribly misinformed.  For starters, Maureen Cooper, who
originally saw the birds, is a very upstanding conservationist and highly
skilled birder who has been doing bird surveys for the Atlas and the
Queensland Wader Study Group for a very long time.  As you have discovered
her record was accepted as reliable (of course), and the birds were of the
southern subspecies, which is protected as Endangered (hence the problem
for the mine).  The area is well within the former range of the birds.  In
terms of "unscrupulous conservationists" releasing the birds, I see a few
issues with this.  The first is sourcing enough wild-type Black-throated
Finches with white rumps to release.  The second is timing this release to
coincide with an independent bird expert arriving to do surveys.  And
finally there is the silly idea that the birds would stay in one place and
survive long enough to actually be seen.  The coincidences pile up to a
mound of...well something about the accusation stinks anyway.  For me this
has all the rhetoric of the incident that earned Orange-bellied Parrots the
moniker "Trumped-up Corella".  I certainly hope no birder will give the
lies being told any credence, the job of saving Bimblebox Nature Refuge is
already hard enough as it is.

Regards,
Chris

--

Check out our site: http://www.bird-o.com
Follow us on Facebook (Bird-O) and Twitter