birding-aus

Publishing convention re bird-names

To: "Richard Nowotny" <>, "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Publishing convention re bird-names
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:31:55 +1000
The NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service (part of the Office of Environment and Heritage) uses all lower case names (except where it would otherwise be an upper case such as Lewin's, Gould's etc.) for plants and animals in its publications, management plans etc.. The argument, as I understand it, is that common names of plants and animals are not proper nouns, except as described earlier and therefore it would be like capitalising human for Homo sapiens which isn't correct but each human's name, such as Bill and Mary are proper nouns and therefore start with a capital letter. Despite this I believe to avoid confusion as stated in Richard's earlier post we should make an exception for the common names of plants and animals and use capitals at the beginning of each word.

Regards

Greg
Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist