birding-aus

Call for Papers: Ethnoornithology session at Pan-African Ornithology Con

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: Call for Papers: Ethnoornithology session at Pan-African Ornithology Congress 13
From: bob gosford <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:04:19 +0930
Dear all,

This is a Call For Papers for a dedicated ethnoornithology session at this
year's Pan-African Ornithological Congress.

At the *PAOC12 <http://paoc12.adu.org.za/> * at Rawsonville, South Africa
in 2008 we had two great Ethnoornithology sessions - and a Round table. You
can see the presenters and Abstracts
here<http://paoc12.adu.org.za/docs/paoc12_programme_final_web.pdf> .
I think we can make this year's session ever bigger & better than 2008!

2012 is a big year for ethnoornithology - ave a look at these sessions at
international ethnobiology & ornithology meetings:

1 - the BOU 2012 Annual Conference: *Ecosystem Services: do we need birds?*
Has just finished at the University of Leicester from 3 – 5 April 2012.
There were four ethnoorn papers presented in a session entitled: Cultural
Services Provided by Birds. The program - and link to Abstracts - is
here<http://bouconfs.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/ecosystem-services-do-we-need-birds_17.html>
 .

2 - The *VIII Congreso Mexican de Etnobiologica* is on later this month at
the Universidad Juarez in Tabasco, Mexico. See the program
here<http://www.asociacionetnobiologica.org.mx/mx2/administrator/PROGRAMA%20GENERAL.pdf>
 .

3 - In a few hours I'll be off to Denver, Colorado for the 35th Annual
Meeting of the *Society of Ethnobiology *from 11–14 April, 2012, with the
theme "Conservation and Communities". You can see more information about
the small ethnoornithology session
here<http://www.ethnobiology.org/ethnoornithology>
 .

4 - And next month I'm looking forward to travelling to Montepellier in
France for the 13th Congress of the *International Society of Ethnobiology*,
where Fleur Ng'weno & I will co-chair a great couple of session titled "*Birds
andPeople– research"from 4 continents*". You can see the draft list of
papers
here<http://congress-ise2012.agropolis.fr/ftpheb.agropolis.fr/en/Congress_4_components/Academic_colloquium/Panels_files/s17_presentations.pdf>
 .

Which brings me right back to October in Arusha and the ethnoornithology
session at the 13th Pan-African Ornithology Congress.

Here is the Call for Paper - you have until the end of the month!

See you in Arusha ... or Denver, or Montpellier!

Follow this link <http://www.paoc-africa.org/call-for-abstracts/>  to the
PAOC Call For Abstracts page.

*Call for Abstracts*

Abstracts (300 words) are invited on any aspect of ornithology related to
the aims of the PAOC. The submission deadline is 30th April, and we
anticipate that decisions will be made by the end of  May.

We ask that those wishing to describe projects at an early stage of
development or research plans opt to present posters, leaving the limited
time for oral presentations (15 minutes + 5) for those with substantial
results already. Abstracts should clearly state the main research question
addressed, the methods used and the most important results and conclusions.

Presentations appropriate to one of the conference symposia should indicate
which is most appropriate, more general presentations need not make this
choice and if approved by the scientific committee  will be allocated to
appropriate sessions identified later.

--
Bob Gosford
Crikey.com