birding-aus

Norfolk Island March 10 - 17

To: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Subject: Norfolk Island March 10 - 17
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 10:23:42 +1100
Hi Frank,

Thanks Frank, I will also be putting up a longer report in the next day or
so giving more details of where we saw birds and other recommendations for
future visitors.

Margaret Christian, who is someone all birders need to meet when they
visit, also believes the Oriental Plover has not been reported on the
island before. The airport employee we met, however, had an old edition of
the Readers Digest guide in his ute and and the page with the Oriental
Plover had been marked as a bird seen on the runway. How accurate this is I
am not sure but it is possible that unreported birds have been seen on the
runways in the past. The bird we (Helen) found would definitely appear to
be the first "reported" Oriental Plover for the island.

The "Ringed Plover" was first seen by us on the outer reefs to the south of
the jetty in Slaughter Bay (29º 03' 31.08" S  167º 57' 16" E on Google
Earth). We then found it again on the airport runway, resting with
Double-banded Plovers, Pacific Golden-Plover and the Oriental Plover. The
runways seem to be an important place to scan during any visit, but
especially during the migration seasons. I wish now that I had looked more
closely at the Readers Digest guide as there were quite a few page markers
in it.

cheers

Jen