birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 26 Mar 2012 01:30:13 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 25 Mar 2012.

Sun 25 Mar Intermediate Egret Canning Wetlands, Western Australia
Debbie Walker and myself found an Intermediate Egret in a billabong area near the Liege St Boardwalk of Canning Wetlands. According to Pam and George Agar that is the first sighting in this area.
Alan Galbraith per BirdsWA

Thu 22 Mar White Wagtail Scenic Drive, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
Wayne Merritt has seen a White Wagtail on the east side of Lake Joondalup, along Scenic Drive, on the shore near the cricket pitch.
Wayne Merritt per John Graff (via BirdsWA)

Mangrove Robin Shoalwater Bay , Queensland
I have just found mangrove robins (1x immature and 1x adult at the bottom of Shoalwater Bay in central Qld). The young bird was calling and in close proximity with the adult bird the whole time. It (immature) had wings dropped and quivering when settled on low branches, but I did not actually see it being fed – although our views of the 2 birds were never long before they moved and were resighted.
Andrew (Rocky) McDougall

Mon 19 Mar Australian Painted Snipe Jervois Dam (previously Petrocarb Dam), Northern Territory
Australian Painted Snipe (1) single female feeding along side of dam; allowed me to approach on 3 separate occasions to within 5 m; while facing me she would raise wings overhead like an umbrella to ?hide (see attached photo); after a while she gave this up and started feeding again
Michael Green

Fri 16 Mar Ringed Plover, Oriental Plover, Wandering Tattler Norfolk Is. 2899, New South Wales

Richard Holdaway, John & Sue O'Malley

Oriental Plover, Ringed Plover Norfolk Is. Airfield, New South Wales
Observed x1 bird (partial Breeding Plumage) sitting on a disused airstrip with a flock of Golden Plovers and Double-banded Dotterel. Long way off so photo is a bit off, high winds blowing too. Margaret says this may be a new bird for the Island, no earlier records in the literature. Also seen by Margaret was a Ringed Plover a few days earlier, no photo to confirm, but hoping!
John & Sue O'Malley. Margaret Christian

Mon 12 Mar Oriental Plover S-W runway arm, Norfolk Island airport, Norfolk Island
Late morning on 12/03 we were looking for the reported Ringed Plover that we had been shown on 10/03 and found an Oriental Plover on the sw end of the runway that runs sw to ne. On checking with an airport staff person in charge of clearing birds from the runway, tabs in his field guide suggest O.P. may have been seen on N.I. previously but not reported beyond the airport staff. The O.P was seen again on 13/03 at the same location.
Helen, Barb, Joy, Ian and Jen

Sat 10 Mar Ringed Plover Reef to left of Kingston Jetty, Norfolk Island
When we landed on N.I. on 10/03 we were told by Dougald that a Ringed Plover had been found on rocks to the left of the jetty in Slaughter Bay. We located the bird on an outer reef and then saw it again on 12/03 on the sw-ne airport runway in company with Double-banded Plover, Pacific Golden Plover and the Oriental Plover. Our thanks to Richard ? who we were told was the person who located the bird first, and Dougald who passed the info on to us so promptly.
Jen, Helen, Barb, Ian and Joy

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birdlife Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.