birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 12 Mar 2012 01:30:44 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Mar 2012.

Sat 10 Mar Diamond Dove Mingela road, Hervey Range Developmental Road
Stopped to watch a group of mixed birds harassing a Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo--pair of Diamond Dove were in the same tree.
Niel Bruce

Ground Cuckoo-shrike Boundary Creek West, Hervey Range Road
Two Ground Cuckoo-shrike by the road, about 400 m before the creek. Fairly timid (minimum distance about 30 m in car), but did not leave the strip for 30 minutes, coming down from trees to the road and in the grass.
Niel Bruce

Fri 9 Mar Pied Heron Killaloe Tip
One adult at the tip when I was disposing of some waste.
Peter Houston

Brown Quail Shannonvale
Two adults with a chick on Shannonvale Road. They were right at the edge of the road next to the grass. Almost immediately after I spotted them the chick disappeared into the grass (possibly more were in there). The adults remained for another few seconds as I slowly approached on my push bike then they flew into the cane. Have seen and heard them here several times but this is the first direct evidence that they're breeding.
Peter Houston

Wed 7 Mar Lesser Frigatebird North Ward, Townsville
Lesser Frigatebird (1) Glimpsed soaring high over CBD north-east of Castle Hill approx 4:30PM - ahead of storm cells from vehicle stopped at intersection. Unfortunately, by the time I had exited traffic & parked the bird was lost from view... Can anyone please confirm this bird?
Alexandra Canton

Rainbow Bee-eater Undara Experience
2x groups of approx 20 individuals were seen moving north. These are the first for the season.
Chris Armstrong

Tue 6 Mar Wandering Tattler Boyd Point, 20nm South of Weipa
A single bird observed on a rocky shore, with 2 Sooty Oystercatchers, a Greater Sand Plover and a Common Sandpiper.
Ben Bright

Sooty Oystercatcher Boyd Point, 20nm south of Weipa
2 Birds observed on a rocky shore - the first of the species I've seen on Western Cape York.
Ben Bright

Sun 4 Mar Squatter Pigeon 6km north of Mareeba
A single bird was flushed off the side of the hwy approx 6km north of Mareeba - not an easy bird this close to Mareeba & always worth checking for along the road between here & Mt Molloy.
Martin Cachard

Fri 2 Mar Beach Stone-curlew Trinity Beach, Cairns Northern Beaches
A pair was observed at 11pm in the middle of the main beach at Trinity Beach before flying off seawards to the south. I haven't seen this rare species at this very busy beach for many years.
Martin Cachard

Wed 29 Feb Pied Oystercatcher Deep Creek Kewarra/Clifton Beaches
Seven birds roosting on sand bank where the creek enters the ocean. Unusual number for this area.
Harry Cassidy

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birdlife Northern Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.