birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 30 Jan 2012 01:30:30 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 29 Jan 2012.

Fri 27 Jan Great Shearwater Mistral Point, Maroubra, New South Wales
Great Shearwater seen off Mistral Point in the late afternoon. (Moderator's note: A good sighting however Great Shearwaters are on the Review list of BARC so that the observation would be subject to their Review.AKM)
Ray Gobbe and Fiona Brook

Wed 25 Jan Gould's Petrel Manly Marina!!!, Queensland
Found by visiting UK Birder M/P. Lee. Record passed to Rob Morris by Paul Walbridge.
M.P .Lee (via Paul Walbridge)

Sat 7 Jan Scarlet-chested Parrot, Little Crow etc Gluepot Reserve, South Australia
Had 3 immature/female Scarlet-chested Parrots on the eastern end of Gluepot. One responded to Crested Bellbird playback from my ipod. In fact I had RIngneck, Mulga Parrot, Common Bronzewing, Striated Pardalote, Variegated Fairy-wren, Hooded Robin, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater all respond to the playback. The one bird I didn't get was the Crested Bellbird which was calling nearby! The bird in question flew within 3 metres of me & I got good photos. I also had a small group of Little Crows with a few Australian Ravens mixed in fly over. Their distinctive uk uk calls & slender appearance (good flight photos) confirmed ID. Other highlights were Striated Grasswrens, Chestnut Quail-thrush, at least 5 Spotted Nightjars along the track the night before, a Tawny Frogmouth and 2 Little Button-quail..
Kevin Bartram

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe