birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 9 Jan 2012 01:31:14 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Jan 2012.

Sun 8 Jan White-throated Needletail, White-backed Swallow, Dollarbird Wilby
A big flock of over 250 White-throated Needletails were seen overhead, circling and spiraling in a flock for over an hour during the afternoon. They were also joined by 3 White-backed Swallows (first record here in over 4 years) and a Dollarbird actively feeding on insects.
Michael Ramsey

Nankeen Night Heron Crowther Place -Brighton
seen on roof of house in middle of the day.
Philip Lee

Sat 7 Jan Fork-tailed Swift, White-throated Needletail, White-throated Nightjar Bunyip State Forest
3 Fork-tailed at Bunyip River Rd around 2pm, with 50 or so Needletails in the same area about 30 mins later. Then 40 or so Needletails at the Helipad around dusk and 3 Nightjars. And on Sunday morning a few Needletails at the Buttongrass Walk.
Dave Torr, Peter Gibbons, Christine Shelley, Iian Denham, Chloe Youl, Arthur and Denise Carew

Common Tern (77) Altona
Seventy-seven counted on rocks off Surf Street at around 11:30. By far the largest number I've seen at this site.
P.S. Lansley

Spotted Harrier Shelford
Whilst driving back from a mates place near Enfield I observed an adult Spotted Harrier patroling over a wheat paddock just near the town of Shelford.
Geoff Jones

Square-tailed Kite Mount Eliza
While inspecting the backyard of a property in Bellbird Rd, Mount Eliza at 3:00pm, a Square-tailed Kite landed in a tree in the backyard, then took off and circled overhead giving wonderful views for a number of minutes.
Luke Shelley

Cicadabird Noojee - at Testle Bridge turn-off area
First heard calling then male Cicadabird seen in gumtree devouring a praying mantis. Also heard calling in Powelltown at creek below picnic area (Reids tramline walk).
G. Santos

Australian Spotted Crake, Baillon's Crake, Spotless Crake, Buff-banded Rail, Australian Hobby Lake Tom Thumb, Eaglehawk
Nice selection of crake and rail species at this site.
David McInnes

Golden-headed Cisticola, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo Royal Botanic Gardens, Cranbourne
Best birding along Botanic Drive between park boundary and adjacent farmland.
Huib Ottow

Fri 6 Jan Great Crested Grebe Lake Hamilton beach, Hamilton
Great Crested Grebe (1) hanging out with the Hardheads
Samantha Greiner

Intermediate Egret Braeside Park
3 Intermediate Egrets and 1 Great Egret in the most south-easterly pond at Braeside. Melways 93, 1F. (-38.009, 145.132)
Aidan Sudbury

Dollarbird Upper Goulburn Rd 37 05 26S 145 11 25 E
A pair of Dollarbird seen feeding a begging and recently fledged juvenile in tall red-gum along Goulburn River, around mid-morning as I drove through.
Steve Davidson

2 BAR-TAILED GODWIT, 10 thousand plus Grey Teal, Pink-eared Duck, Red-necked Avocet, Caspian Tern Fosters Swamp, Kerang
Bar-tailed Godwit 2, my first ever sighting of this species in inland Victoria. Grey Teal 10,000 plus (probably many more) spread evenly across the lake ! Pink-eared Duck a few hundred mixed with the Teal Red-necked Avocet small numbers right around the lake, maybe 200 total Caspian Tern 1
Simon Starr

Diamond firetail, Beautiful Firetail Carlisle River heathland (Otway Nat Pk)
An unexpected Diamond Firetail was seen and photographed calling incessantly in heathland this morning. Beautiful firetails, Rufous Fantails, Satin Flycatchers, countless Emu wrens and many Blue-winged parrots were more predictable sightings. 2 small dark quail flushed from recently burnt swampy heath, identity unknown.
John Newman

Thu 5 Jan Spotted Harrier Tower Hill
Juvenile Spotted Harrier perched next to track. Very approachable. See photo. Also, a minimum of 10 Australian Spotted Crake, several Black-winged Stilt and plenty of Red-kneed Dotterel along the muddy shores of the large lake to the left of the entrance road. (Eremaea List # 106603)
Bernie McRitchie

Diamond Dove Greater Bendigo National Park (Kamarooka Section)
Diamond Dove (1) Burnside Track, landed in a dead tree on northern side of the track. Red eye-ring and spotting on the wings showing brilliantly in the bright sunlight.
Brett Whitfield

Australian Koel Newport
A Koel has just started calling in my street in Newport at around 11.20pm. It's just over two years since I last recorded the species here.
Steve Davidson

Wed 4 Jan Black Falcon, Spotted Harrier, Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant
Watched a Black Falcon fly over Beach Rd, on the Avalon side, near Point Wilson Rd. It glided along and attacked a juvenile Spotted Harrier. I have photos of the Harrier carrying something that looks like cow faeces! Both flew around, having a go at each other for a few minutes, giving me the chance to get some decent photos. I have never seen these 2 species interracting before. Had a Pectoral Sandpiper on the next pond north of Walsh's Lagoon, not sure if it's the same bird that I found last week.
Kevin Bartram

Turquoise Parrot Canni Creek Racecourse, Buchan South
Small flock of Turquoise Parrots in trees around the stables and toilet block.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Diamond Dove, Budgerigar, Hooded Robin Leaghur State Park
Diamond Dove 1 seen well and calling Budgerigar c.10 seen Hooded Robin a male
Simon Starr

Cicadabird, Brush Cuckoo Samaria Wells (Mount Samaria State Park)
Super close views of a male Cicadabird perched and calling. A Brush Cuckoo could also be heard in the distance and a Leaden Flycatcher was also found here.
Michael Ramsey

Tue 3 Jan Square-tailed Kite Murrungowar Forest Drive (near Orbost)
We stopped to look at the old growth Banksia Forest on the Murrungowar Forest Drive and saw a Square-tailed Kite flying low over the tree tops.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Eastern Koel Melbourne Botanical Gardens
Heard a few times around 4PM in afternoon, on southern side around Birdwood Avenue.
Kevin Bartram

White-fronted Chat Longlea Lane Dam
White-fronted Chat (7) on far edge of dam.
Marlene Lyell

Grey-tailed Tattler Craigie Beach, Mt Martha
Single Grey-tailed Tattler still at Craigie beach, Mt Martha - on the rocky shoreline between Craigie beach and Birdrock beach.
Neil Shelley

Mon 2 Jan Latham's Snipe, Azure Kingfisher Snowy River near Forest Park, Orbost
One Latham's Snipe on a sandy bank on the Snowy River opposite Forest Park near town centre. An Azure Kingfisher flying along billabong nearby.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Southern Emu-wren Point Roadknight
A pair seen on the track to the back beach. While there were numerous parties of emu-wrens in the heathland west of Anglesea, (as well as a pair of Chestnut-rumped Heathwren) this pair was a surprise as the habitat was Moonah-dominated coastal scrub and was immediately adjacent to the car park for a beach that has had hundreds of holidaymakers swarming all over it.
Sean Dooley

Yellow Rosella Lilydale Lake
Crimson Rosella flaveolus. Flew over the beach area - pale yellow body with blue wings. Gave definite Rosella flight call, different from Crimson Rosella call. Escapee? Didn't hang around for a follow-up view.
Jackson Airey

White-throated Needletail Stanley
Approximately 120 White-throated Needletails were seen circling over the surrounding hills near Stanley during the morning.
Michael Ramsey

Sun 1 Jan Black Bittern Double Creek Inlet, Mallacoota, Vic
Walking East from Bridge on Mallacoota- Genoa Road, I flushed a Black Bittern on the narrow inlet about 200m E of bridge. I was able to follow up for a brief view before it flushed again and could not be relocated. Also seen red browed treecreeper, crested shrike-tit, grey goshawk, scarlet honeyeater.
Giles Daubeney

Australian Painted Snipe, Freckled Duck, Pectoral Sandpiper, Latham's Snipe, White-winged Black Tern Eastern Treatment Plant
The numerous highlights of the monthly Eastern Treatment Plant survey included 27 Freckled Duck, 16 Nankeen Night Heron, 9150 Eurasian Coot, 1 Australian Painted Snipe, 31 Latham’s Snipe, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 2 White-winged Black Tern. Partially drained, with extensive areas of mud, providing excellent habitat for many species. Ducks and waders have returned in big numbers.
Mike Carter, D Neylan, Al Kuiter, A Silcocks, D Stabb, J Loy & D Lustig per T Dolby

Banded Stilt, Gull-billed Tern, Fork-tailed Swift The Honeysuckles (near Seaspray)
Highlights of a relaxing few days near Seaspray included Banded Stilts, many 100's around 'The Island' and into Lake Reeve. Gull-billed Tern in breeding plumage, my first record here for around 8 years. Fork-tailed Swift, a single bird seen a number of times on evening of the 2nd January.
Tim Bawden

White-throated Nightjar, Painted Honeyeater, Grey-crowned Babbler, White-browed Woodswallow Killawarra Forest
A great list of birds to start of 2012 were found in the forest this evening.
Michael Ramsey

Wed 28 Dec Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant (Borrow Pits)
A lone Pectoral Sandpiper with some Red-necked Stints in the Borrow Pits which flew off in SW direction. Happy New Year!
Ed Williams

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe