birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 2 Jan 2012 01:30:51 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 1 Jan 2012.

Sat 31 Dec Pectoral Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant
First Pectoral Sandpiper I've heard of for a while, since the start of the season. 1 on 85W pond with a number of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. Think I got the tide wrong for the Terek Sandpiper, waders were just starting to come in as I had to leave, but the Black-tailed Godwit was still there. Also 4 Freckled Duck on the north end of Lake Borrie.
Kevin Bartram

Brush Cuckoo, Leaden Flycatcher, Noisy Friarbird, White-throated Gerygone Goulburn River, Trawool (37 05 45 S 145 12 56 E)
Riparian woodland along the Goulburn River at 6.30 this morning was alive with the deafening cacophony of countless Noisy Friarbird, with backing vocals from Leaden Flycatcher, White-throated Gerygone, Sacred KIngfisher, White-throated Treeceeper, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo and the rather incongruous peals of a Brush Cuckoo!
Steve Davidson

Nankeen Night Heron Point Gelibrand, Williamstown
Three Nankeen Night Herons perched on rocks on an outgoing tide.
Carol Challis

Plumed Whistling-Duck Piangil
40 birds seen.
David McDonald

Wood Sandpiper, Variegated Fairy-wren, Glossy Ibis, Intermediate Egret, Brown Quail Hirds Swamp
Swamp 3/4 dry. Birding from eastern edge. Many hundreds of Red-kneed Dotterel, nearly 200 Spoonbills mostly Yellow-billed. Nearby Johnsons Swamp still with more water and big flock of Pelican,maybe 300.
Simon Starr

Glossy Ibis Truganina Swamp, Altona
I counted 5 Glossy Ibis feeding in the flooded grassy north-western corner of the swamp during a 6am walk. All were streaky-headed immatures.(This is my first personal record for this species at this site). Also the swamp is heaving with crakes at the moment .I had 3 Baillons altogether right next to the fenceline by Laverton creek allowing close views, with several others sighted. Also 15 Aust Spotted Crakes in view at once with many others seen.
David A Richardson

Fri 30 Dec Scarlet Honeyeater Goulburn Valley Highway, Kerrisdale (37 08 35 S 145 14 37 E)
I pulled over near Kerrisdale whereupon to our delight we heard the most pleasing strains of a Scarlet Honeyeater in the trees up on the hill above the road.
Steve Davidson

Black-faced Monarch Toolangi State Forest
A lone Black-faced Monarch seen just across the bridge at the Spraggs Rd section of the Toolangi State Forest. The individual flew across the road, stopped to groom itself for a moment, called once then took off. Never seen one here in my limited experience!
Phil Rance

Intermediate Egret Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
As an update to the last post of mine, we also had Great/Intermediate/Little Egrets side by side in the first T-Section pond inside the gate
Dave Torr and Arthur Carew

Terek Sandpiper Conservation Pond SW - 11, Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
I was able to observe the Terek Sandpiper actively feeding for more than an hour. There is a Black-tailed Godwit nearby as well as many waders and Avocets.
Annette Hatten

Magpie Goose, Australian Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake, Black-tailed Native-hen, Red-kneed Dotterel Reedy Lake, Leopold
One Magpie Goose on nesting box at end of Moolap Station Road. Australian Spotted Crake (1) & Spotless Crake (2) observed at end of Coppard's Road. Basically sat in car and waited for them to come out -quite OK to be out in the open but only for short periods. One Black-tailed Native-hen observed at Moolap Station Road as well as a flock of 27 Red-kneed Dotterel at the end of Fitzgerald Road.
Chris Pitfield

Spotless Crake, Latham's Snipe Heathdale Glen Orden Wetlands, Werribee 3030
At 16:35 hours, observed one Spotless Crake and flushed four Latham's Snipe at this modified wetland located in a residential suburban area in Werribee. Other species present were Eastern Great Egret, Pacific Black Duck, Dusky Moorhen, Purple Swamphen, Eurasian Coot, Little Pied Cormorant, Australian Reed Warbler and Little Grassbird.
Peter Gibbons

Little Lorrikeet Playground end Middlefield Dr Blackburn North
Saw some little lorrikeets today in tree next to playground.
Glen Crothers

Albino Grebe, Spotted Harrier, Glossy Ibis Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Beautiful day at the plant with 105 species recorded. The Albino Grebe (probably Hoary-headed) was in one of the coastal ponds east of Little River. Spotted Harrier (possibly 2) on the way out as we came up Pt Wilson Rd. Glossy Ibis in Walshes, Black-tailed Native Hen, Buff-banded Rail, Spotted Crake in abundance, Baillons still at T-Section Pond 4. Freckled Duck at Paradise Rd end of Borrie. Great Crested Grebes in the sea. No sign of the Broad-billed SP
Dave Torr and Arthur Carew

Budgerigar Leaghur State Park
A single flock of about 50 Budgies and many more family groups scattered throughout the western edge of the park. Also Grey-crowned Babbler, Black-eared Cuckoo, Western Gerygone, Diamond Firetail and Blue Bonnets. A White-bellied Sea Eagle on the southern edge of the very full Lake Meran.
Stuart Dashper

White-throated Needletail Westerfolds Park, Templestowe
I glanced up just after I got out of the car, and 2 flew over. 6 -8 flew low then higher for a couple of minutes and then vanished eastwards.
Sonja Ross

Thu 29 Dec Black Falcon Merin Merin swamp, via Clunes
Back Falcon patrolling the red gum canopy on the north west shoreline. Also observed 6 Black-winged Stilt, 15 + Black-fronted Dotterel, Pink-eared Duck and Straw-necked Ibis
Adrian Martins

Common Sandpiper Tooradin
Single Common Sandpiper at waters edge at low tide below beach
Daphne Hards

Little Egret Edithvale Wetlands
A solitary Little Egret feeding in front of the viewing platform at Edithvale wetlands. Also observed a Black-tailed Native Hen, Black-fronted Dotterel, Nankeen Night-Heron, Spotted Crake and Baillon's Crake from the same location.
Wayne Butterworth

Hardhead (2), Buff-banded Rail (2), Nankeen Night Heron San Remo
Pair of Hardheads on the home dam. First time I have seen them in San Remo. The Rails had 5 chicks that were observed over a 6 week period. Mature and immature Night Heron regularly roosting around the dam
Grant Griffin

Wed 28 Dec Musk Duck, Intermediate Egret, Australian Spotted Crake, Latham's Snipe, European Goldfinch Winter Swamp, Cardigan
Australian Spotted Crake (1) wading in clear, shallow water, north of start of walking track. Musk Duck 29/12 (4-5) included: am. 1 male displaying out from the end of the walking track; and pm. one adult with 3 ducklings just south of walking track. Intermediate Egret (1) largish white bird, smaller than Great Egret, no notch in shorter neck, head-plumes visible. Latham's Snipe (6) small wader-type birds on shore of full swamp, took off with erratic, zig-zag type flight, while uttering a quick, harsh call. European Goldfinch, small flock near Pines south of swamp.
Peter Booth

Freckled Duck, Australasian Shoveler, Blue-billed Duck, Swamp Harrier, Australian Spotted Crake Lake Wendouree
Freckled Duck (1) 28/12 afternoon. Shy duck at Eastern end of lake swimming between large shrubs to small trees, fine freckling all over, top of bill noticably concave, feathers stuck out at back of head, no red noticed in bill. Possibly female, young or non-breeding, see photo. Also Australasian Shoveler, Blue-billed Duck, Swamp Harrier, Australian Spotted Crake and Buff-banded Rail .
Peter Booth

Eastern Koel, Superb Fairy Wren Rodney and Reginald Streets, Quarry Hill, Bendigo
Eastern Koel heard calling from the back of houses containing dense tree canopy cover. Also saw Superb Fairy Wrens darting in and out of front garden shrubs which is rare in this sparsely vegetated neighbourhood.
Adrian Martins

Square-tailed Kite Kalorama
I had good views of a Square-tailed Kite in Kalorama this morning, my first sighting of this species in the Dandenongs. It was loosely circling just above the treetops in typical fashion, seemingly oblivious to the infuriated ravens and cockatoos.
Steven Creber

Dollarbird, Intermediate Egret, Great Crested Grebe, Australian Spotted Crake Winton Wetlands
Nice morning at the wetlands. Highlights were a single Dollarbird (first record for the wetlands) that was observed over the duck pond being chased away by a Willie Wagtail. An Intermediate Egret and a Great Crested Grebe were also at the duck pond. An Australian Spotted Crake was also seen running off into rushes by the old dam wall.
Michael Ramsey

Tue 27 Dec Australian Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
While enjoying a picnic near the Observatory before the Moonlight Cinema an Australian Koel was calling.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

Broad Billed Sandpiper [2], Freckled Duck [10], Spotted Harrier [2] Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
A great days birding had ,101 species highlights being Broad-Billed Sandpiper , Freckled Ducks, Curlew Sandpiper, 500+, Sharp Tailed Sandpipers 300, Marsh Sandpipers 4, Banded Stilt, 200+. Ten duck species seen only Wood Duck missing. Large numbers of Pink-eared Ducks and Australian Shelducks. One mature & 1 immature Spotted Harrier.
Bob and Russell Hughes

White-throated Nightjar, White-throated Needletail, Superb Lyrebird Bunyip State Park
White-throated Nightjar (5) seen at helipad after dusk. White-throated Needletail (4) seen at helipad flying over at about 8:30pm. Superb Lyrebird (4) one male and three female. Male climbed a tree to about 30m then glided down to road in front of us.
Bruce Wedderburn

Australian Painted Snipe Great Salt Swamp (Lake Connewarre State Game Reserve) Barwon Heads Rd
Single male APS flushed twice from flooded vegetation at edge main pond. Brolga, Red- kneed Dotterels nearby. 100+ Banded Stilts nearby.
John Newman

Intermediate Egret, Freckled Duck Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
An Intermediate Egret was foraging in T-section Pond 4, possibly same bird as has been reported several times over past few months. 5 Freckled Duck seen loafing on posts in Lake Borrie opposite Paradise Rd Lagoons, couldn't seem to find the 25 odd from last week that were out in the middle. Spotless Crake & Lewin's Rail were vocalising in a couple of places, a young & marauding Peregrine Falcon was terrorising the ford at Little River and Rufous Songlark were conspicuous by their absence/silence.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Lathams Snipe (3), Red-kneed Dotterel (4-5),Black-tailed Native Hen (1) Edithvale Wetlands
All in receding ephemeral wetlands just south of Rossdale Golf course. First time wetland has held persistent water since our arrival here in 1997. Also Black-winged Stilts with several young, Grey and Chestnut teal, Wood Duck, Hard-head, Black Duck, Australasian Grebe, Purple Swamphens, Coot, Silver Gulls
Roger Francey

Mon 26 Dec Little Button-quail, Barn Owl Wilby
A Little Button-quail was observed in the middle of the Tungamah-Peechelba Rd around 9:25pm. It allowed quite a close approach, nearly to a metre away and was also very rufous in colour, probably a female. A Barn Owl was also observed nearby.
Michael Ramsey

White-throated Nightjar, White-throated Needletail, Painted Honeyeater Killawarra Forest
A pair of White-throated Nightjar, 4 White-throated Needletails and a calling Painted Honeyeater were some highlights during an evening visit to the forest.
Michael Ramsey

Painted Button-quail Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Highlight of a fairly cold and windy Boxing Day was a Painted BQ at the start of the track to Kirk Pt. 3 Glossy Ibis in the first pond on the right as you drive from the Little River ford to Borrow Pits. Native Hens at the ford and Austin Rd. Still Baillon's Crakes at T-Section Pond 4, but it is drying out.
Dave Torr, Peter Gibbons and Jeff from Devon

Great Crested Grebe & Eastern Koel Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
One adult Great Crested Grebe on Ornamental Lake and Eastern Koel calling this evening in the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.
Philip Maher

Swift Parrot, Little Corella Gilpin Park, Brunswick
Thought I was hearing things this morning when I heard a Swift Parrot outside the back door. But then saw one feeding in a flowering Ironbark in Gilpin Park. Also around 50 Little Corella have been hanging around, yesterday I saw them in a nearby park feeding on cypress tree nuts. Probably the same flock which has been coming in summer for the 4th year in a row.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Sun 25 Dec Brolga Murchison
Single Brolga sited in a cow paddock just before the 60k sign on the left coming in from Bendigo.
Greg and Janice McKay

Sat 24 Dec Baillon's Crake, Nankeen Night-Heron, Latham's Snipe McLeod's Waterholes, Drysdale
Baillon's Crake (1) South-western part of south-western waterhole. Our first record of this species at this site. Nankeen Night-Heron (1) Flushed from eastern end of south-western waterhole. Our first record of this species at this site. Latham's Snipe (3) Flushed from grass and boggy area at eastern end of south-eastern waterhole. The most of this species we have seen at this site.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Sun 18 Dec Grey-tailed Tattler Mt Martha
Single bird feeding on rocky shoreline in Craigie Beach area.
Carl & Knud Hansen

Mon 12 Dec Mallee Emu-wren, Malleefowl, Striated Grasswren, Regent Parrot Near junction Pheeny's & Underbool Tracks, Murray Sunset NP
2 Mallee Emu-wren, 2 Malleefowl, 8 Regent Parrot & 1 Striated Grasswren, plus many Striped Honeyeaters.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe