birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, December 26, 2011 to Sunday, January 1, 2012:

Area: NSW

Date: Thursday, December 29, 2011

Location: Forbes

White-bellied Sea-Eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster) (2) Adult and juvenile on dead
tree overlooking lake about six kms west of Forbes on West Wyalong road visible
from the bird hide. Gone the next morning.

Reported by: David Cox on Friday, December 30, 2011

Area: SA

Date: Sunday, December 4, 2011

Location: Nelshaby Resevoir,  FR

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) (1) First time we've seen a Peregrin here.
A whistling kite was nearby.

Baillon's Crake (Porzana pusilla) (2) A pair of birds in a swampy area behind
the reservoir.  Possibly the same 2 birds which were seen at the reservoir in
the spring.

Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus) (1) In pond behind the reservoir adjacent
the water intake channel.

Reported by: Alan Jamieson & Jane White on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Date: Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Location: Black Point, Y.P.

Darter (Anhinga novaehollandiae) (1) A female Darter was seen sitting on the
seaweed by the reef at Black Point at the early morning high tide. It was also
present the previous evening.  At the Birds SA meeting on 28/10/2011, I
reported a female Darter flying overhead  in the area, & I assume that it may
be the same bird. I took a photo, but the light was poor & it was spitting with
rain, but it's OK for identification. This is the first sighting here of a
Darter in the 20 odd years I have been noting the local birds
 .

Reported by: Margaret Tiller on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Date: Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Location: On our property at Rockleigh

Straw-necked Ibis (Threskiornis spinicollis) (10) In the last 2 weeks
straw-necked ibis have become a constant visitor. We have seen them perching in
trees and grazing in our grassland. On the way home a group of 14 was seen a
few kms north of Callington, grazing in stubble.

Welcome swallows have been seen every time we have visited our place in the
last 3+ years, both circling over small waterholes on the roadside, and
roosting under our veranda, with around 20-30 overnighters recently. This
weekend not a single swallow was seen anywhere. Where have they gone ? However,
3 tree martins were flying near our shed (where we usually see swallows), a new
sighting for this spot.

A few kms to the east, not near any water, a lone white-plumed honeyeater was
spotted.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Date: Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Location: Aldinga Scrub, Hart Rd.

Painted Button-quail (Turnix varius) (5) I flushed 5 of these birds as I walked
through the grass near the area that the water usually flows through after
crossing Hart Rd. They did not all fly at once, was nearly walking on them
before they flew.

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (1) One bird seen on Hart Rd then
dashed into the Lignum along the fence line.

There was still one Musk Duck on a pond in Hart Rd Wetland.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Date: Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Location: Bookmark Biosphere, Riverland, SA

Scarlet-chested Parrot (Neophema splendida) (6) at least 6 birds present,
mostly immatures, 1 adult male

Purple-crowned Lorikeet (Glossopsitta porphyrocephala) (4) feeding in flowering
mallee

Reported by: Helga Kieskamp, Peter Waanders on Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Date: Thursday, December 29, 2011

Location: Lions Bird Hide Barrage Road Goolwa

Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus) (1) Single bird feeding out from
the hide.

Australian Spotted Crake (Porzana fluminea) (1) The bird was in reeds opposite
the hide. Water level is still to high for waders.

Reported by: Winston Syson on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Date: Thursday, December 29, 2011

Location: Barrage to Beacon 19 Goolwa

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (Calidris acuminata) (50) Numbers of birds were feeding
on the margin of the channel from the second pull in to nearly the boat ramp.
Also 3 Curlew S/P 3 Greenshank and 30 Red-necked Stint. Big numbers of Grey
Teal,Coot and Little black Cormorant.

Reported by: Winston Syson on Thursday, December 29, 2011